[Python-Dev] whitespace normalization

dustin at v.igoro.us dustin at v.igoro.us
Wed Apr 25 16:54:43 CEST 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:40:22AM +0100, Duncan Booth wrote:
> IMHO, changing whitespace retrospectively in a version control system is a
> bad idea.

In my experience Duncan's assertion is absolutely true, and all the more
so in a project that maintains a large body of pending patches, as
Python does.  Spurious whitespaces changes in the repo will generate
patch rejections that will drive both maintainers (as they check in a
patch) and submitters (as they try to refresh patches against head) mad.

I'm very much interested in VC systems *not* driving developers mad!

Dustin