[Python-Dev] PEP 3118: Extended buffer protocol (new version)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Apr 12 03:35:42 CEST 2007

 From PEP 3118:

   A memory-view object is an extended buffer object that
   should replace the buffer object in Python 3K.

   typedef struct {
     PyObject_HEAD
     PyObject *base;
     struct bufferinfo view;
     int itemsize;
     int flags;
   } PyMemoryViewObject;

If the purpose is to provide Python-level access to an
object via its buffer interface, then keeping a bufferinfo
struct in it is the wrong implementation strategy, since it
implies keeping the base object's memory locked as long as
the view object exists.

That was the mistake made by the original buffer object,
and the solution is not to hold onto the info returned by
the base object's buffer interface, but to make a new
buffer request for each Python-level access.

If that's not the purpose of this object, you need to
explain what its purpose actually is.

Also some of what you say about this object is rather
unclear, e.g. "It exports a view using the base object."
I don't know what that is supposed to mean.

University of Canterbury,	   | Carpe post meridiem!          	  |
Christchurch, New Zealand	   | (I'm not a morning person.)          |