[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu Mar 30 05:11:24 CEST 2006

On Thursday 30 March 2006 12:15, skip at pobox.com wrote:
> Someone was throwing around names like db.sqlite as the place to
> install pysqlite.

Dunno who originally suggested it, but the theory was that there's
some issue with toplevel library namespace pollution. I'm not too
stressed out one way or the other - but starting off with 'db.sqlite'
(and then maybe moving/aliasing db.bsddb &c at a future point) doesn't
seem like a bad idea.

> That suggests other database interface modules
> like db.mysql, db.postgresql, db.sybase, etc.  Given that we
> probably won't include all those as standard modules, we should
> make it easy for someone to install one or more of those modules
> via normal external mechanisms and have them appear seamlessly to
> the Python programmer.  Then I begin to wonder why bother with
> db.sqlite at all.  Why not just create an empty db package that
> does the pkgutil or pkg_resources dance and let people install all
> N database interfaces instead of just N-1?

The same could be said of vast amounts of the standard library.

Anthony