[Python-Dev] PySet API

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Mar 29 20:38:50 CEST 2006

Gareth McCaughan wrote:
> However: if Raymond, or anyone else, is offended, then I'm sorry.
> Now, what about the technical issues, as opposed to the way I
> happened to introduce my comments?

Proposing that a certain API in an open source project is introduced
for a single "customer" is indeed a surprising notion, and I don't
think it should be done. Either there is a need for the API, in which
case it should be added, or there isn't (and the user is mistaken
requesting it), then it shouldn't be added.

Given that Barry insists so firmly that there is a need, and that
this need arises from a significant code simplification that can
be achieved through the API, the natural conclusion is to add
the API. That, of course, assumes that you believe Barry's testimony.

Regards,
Martin