[Python-Dev] Building Python for AMD64 (Windows)

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Wed Mar 22 20:29:19 CET 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Thomas Heller wrote:
>> Then I fire up MSVC, select the ReleaseAMD64 configuration, and try to
>> build the
>> pythoncore project.
>> After lots of compiler warnings, the build fails with this message:

> For some reason, VS.NET hasn't picked up the PATH modifications, so that
> it doesn't invoke the linker wrapper (which would have invoked the right
> compiler and linker). This sometimes happens, and I don't know why.
>
> As the first measure, open Tools/External compiler configuration, and
> see whether this reports changes to the path. If it does, throw all
> object files away, and recompile.
>
> Otherwise, please try editing the executable path manually:
>
> Tools/Options/Projects/VC++ Directories/Executable Files
>
> should start with c:\program files\vsextcompiler.
>
> Please let me know whether that works.

Yes, that worked.  vsextcomp complained that the PATH was not correct, but it
did then repair it itself.

Ok, so now I'm able to make itanium builds (which I don't want because I don't have
such amachine).  The Feb 2003 Platform SDK apparently doesn't have an AMD64 compiler.

In the meantime, I installed a fresh copy of MSVC on a second machine (Athlon64, running
Windows XP 64bit), plus the Platform SDK for Win Server 2003 SP1 - April 2005 Edition.

Same problems with vsextcomp, but vsextcomp repairs the path itself again.
But here, starting the build it complains:
CL.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin
Error 2 while trying to open SDK path key from registry ...
Error: Could not determine installation directory of  Microsoft SDK.

Guess I'll install the 2003 SP1 SDK on the first machine and try it there.

Thomas