[Python-Dev] Building Python for AMD64 (Windows)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Mar 22 19:43:14 CET 2006

Thomas Heller wrote:
> Then I fire up MSVC, select the ReleaseAMD64 configuration, and try to build the
> pythoncore project.
> After lots of compiler warnings, the build fails with this message:
>
> cl.exe -c -D_WIN32 -DUSE_DL_EXPORT -D_WINDOWS -DWIN32 -D_WINDLL -MD -MD /USECL:MS_OPTERON getbuildinfo2.c -DSUBWCREV  -Fogetbuildinfo.o -I..\Include -I..\PC
> Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 13.10.3077 for 80x86
> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1984-2002. All rights reserved.
> getbuildinfo2.c
> Linking...
> LINK : warning LNK4044: unrecognized option '/USELINK:MS_SDK'; ignored
> getbuildinfo.o : fatal error LNK1112: module machine type 'X86' conflicts with target machine type 'AMD64'
>
> Build log was saved at "file://c:\svn\trunk\PCbuild\amd64-temp-release\pythoncore\BuildLog.htm"
> pythoncore - 1 error(s), 229 warning(s)
>
> Is there something wrong on my side?

For some reason, VS.NET hasn't picked up the PATH modifications, so that
it doesn't invoke the linker wrapper (which would have invoked the right
compiler and linker). This sometimes happens, and I don't know why.

As the first measure, open Tools/External compiler configuration, and
see whether this reports changes to the path. If it does, throw all
object files away, and recompile.

Otherwise, please try editing the executable path manually:

Tools/Options/Projects/VC++ Directories/Executable Files

should start with c:\program files\vsextcompiler.

Please let me know whether that works.

Martin