[Python-Dev] Python 3000 Process

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 10:27:00 CET 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I see increased activity related to Python 3000. This is great, but
> there is some danger involved. Some of the dangers are: overloading
> developers; setting unrealistic expectations for what can be
> accomplished; scaring the more conservative user community; paralyzing
> developers who can't decide whether to wait for Python 3000 or not.
>
> I'd like to address all these issues, but it may be better to first
> spend some time on creating a more streamlined process. Perhaps it's
> finally time to introduce a separate mailing list? If people agree,
> let's call it python-3000 at python.org. For many developers this won't
> make much of a difference (since they'll subscribe to both lists), but
> it will give people who are only concerned with Python 2.x a way to
> opt-out, and perhaps more importantly, it will make it clear whether
> any particular proposal is intended for Python 3000 or for Python 2.x.

+1 on the separate mailing list (and PEP numbers).

If Barry (or another mailing list admin) is feeling energetic, some
branch-specific topics on python-checkins would be nice, too. While I'm
interested in tracking trunk checkins, I'm not so concerned about the exact
details of what's happening on the p3yk branch.

Regards,
Nick.