[Python-Dev] Python 2.5 Schedule

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Sat Mar 18 19:15:10 CET 2006

Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com> wrote:

> They include [...] the str.partition function,

Where is the current version of this patch?

After reharsing the archives, I have an additional suggestion which I didn't
find already mentioned in the discussion. What about:

str.partition()  ->  (left, right or None)
str.rparition()  ->  (left or None, right)

which means:

"foo:bar".partition(":") -> ("foo", "bar")
"foo:bar".rpartition(":") -> ("foo", "bar")
"foo:".partition(":") -> ("foo", "")
"foo:".rpartition(":") -> ("foo", "")
":foo".partition(":") -> ("", "foo")
":foo".rpartition(":") -> ("", "foo")
"foo".partition(":") -> ("foo", None)
"foo".rpartition(":") -> (None, "foo")

Notice that None-checking can be done as a way to know if the separator was
found. I mentally went through the diff here
(http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2005-August/055781.html) and
found out that most (all?) the usages of '_' disappears with this semantic.
--
Giovanni Bajo