[Python-Dev] Python 2.5 Schedule

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sat Mar 18 17:48:39 CET 2006

[Neal]
>I posted a message to c.l.p about the upcoming alpha 1.
>
> Just in case anybody here's been snoozing, 2.5 alpha 1 is coming up
> real quick, hopefully within a couple of weeks.  If you have any
> *major* features (particularly implemented in C) that you want to see
> in 2.5, bring it up now.  I want to strive for feature completeness by
> alpha 1.  I know we will have some .py modules that won't make it into
> alpha 1, but they really should make it in by alpha 2 or be deferred
> to 2.6.

FYI, I have several non-major C components to go in but not in time for alpha 1.
They include some minor fix-ups in the sets module, the str.partition function,
add gc to itertools.tee, a couple of functions in binascii, add
itertools.izip_longest, Crutcher's patch to make exec take dictionary arguments,
move the peepholer to just before the assembler, and implement Alex's iterator
copier for a number of iterables (xrange, repeat, count, reversed, list, tuple,
deque, dict, and set).  All of these have been previously discussed/approved and
should go in to the second alpha.

The only one that is borderline is Crutcher's patch.  I will try to free up some
time to get that into alpha 1.  It touches critical parts of the interpreted and
needs to be reviewed, tested, timed, and exercised thoroughly.

Raymond