[Python-Dev] Problem with module loading on multi-arch?

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 01:45:33 CET 2006

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> Neal Becker wrote:
>> I'm guessing that what's happening is that since there is an
>> <arch-dep>/twisted, we never find the module <arch-indep>/twisted/web.
>> If my analysis (guess) is correct, I think we have a problem with the
>> module search.
>
> That is quite possible. I keep applying patches from people who claim to
> know how things on AMD64 linux work, much without questioning them. It
> is quite possible that one of these patches broke something. I'm happy
> to revert or augment them if needed.
>
> Somebody should define how things ought to work, implement a patch that
> both includes a documentation and an implementation of these decisions,
> and then keep an eye on patches that might break this design.

OK, let's talk about it.

1. Does it make sense to have both

<site-dep>/app/subpackage
 and
<site-indep>/app/subpackage
?

My answer: definitely yes.  We already agree that we should have both
site-dep for binary code and site-indep for python code, so there is no way
to avoid this.

2. What should the module search do?

I don't know the details of the current algorithm, but clearly it's going to
have to deal correctly with the above.

One possibility (and maybe this is how it already works?) is that the module
search doesn't know anything about site-dep/site-indep, it simply has a
list of paths to search.

If I did want to try to fix this myself, where would I find the code for it?