[Python-Dev] beta1 coming real soon

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Jun 10 18:20:28 CEST 2006

On 9-jun-2006, at 20:22, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>> How hard is the feature freeze? Would it be possible to update the
>> Carbon bindings after beta1? Given Apple's focus on backward
>> compatibility the update should only add new functionality, not
>> remove existing functions/types.
>
> I'd say it's absolute wrt. to requiring permission from the release
> manager.

I suppose that's as good as it gets, and that's fine by me. The
reason I asked is that if the anwer would be "no way" I definitely
wouldn't bother to spent time on this.

> The point of not allowing new features after a beta release is
> that one wants to avoid getting untested new features into a release.
> For that goal, it is not that relevant whether the new features
> are guaranteed not to break any existing features - they still
> don't get the testing that the beta releases try to achieve.

If the past is any prediction of the future beta releases won't
result in enough testing of the Carbon wrappers :-/. AFAIK there are
known issues with at least some of the wrappers but sadly enough
those issues are not on the tracker. I know of problems with OSA
support because an external package that uses those extensions has
basicly forked them to be able to apply bugfixes. I've just sent a
message to the pythonmac-sig to ask people to file bugreports about
problems they'd like to see fixed.

Hopefully Python 2.5 will see more testing on the mac because there
will be prompt binary releases of the betas this time around.

Ronald