[Python-Dev] beta1 coming real soon

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 17:36:16 CEST 2006

On 6/10/06, Johan Dahlin <jdahlin at async.com.br> wrote:
> Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> > On Thu, 8 Jun 2006, Neal Norwitz wrote:
> >> If you plan to make a checkin adding a feature (even a simple one),
> >> you oughta let people know by responding to this message.  Please get
> >> the bug fixes in ASAP.  Remember to add tests!
> >
> > Just to make this appear on this thread: i'm planning to check in
> > the uuid.py module at http://zesty.ca/python/uuid.py (with tests).
>
> Just a quick comment, ipconfig is localized on my system so it'll output
> something like this:
>
>    endereço inet6: fe80::20e:a6ff:feac:c3bd/64 Escopo:Link
>
> So it needs to be run with LANG set to C to avoid this.

Actually, the code uses "ifconfig", which doesn't exist on Windows.
You want the command "ipconfig /all". And it assumes Windows is
installed on the C: drive (normal, but not guaranteed).

> Perhaps it would be better to use the same API ipconfig uses, but it's
> highly platform specific of course.

Here's a VB script that gets all the MAC addresses on the system using WMI:

Dim objNetworkAdapters, objAdapter, objWMI

Set objWMI = Nothing
Set objWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:")

' Get a list of IP-enabled adapters.
Set objNetworkAdapters = objWMI.ExecQuery("select * from
Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration where IPEnabled = 1")

For Each objAdapter In objNetworkAdapters
      wscript.echo "Network adapter: " & objAdapter.Caption & " has
MAC address " & objAdapter.MacAddress
Next

It might be worth noting that on my PC, this gets one "real" network
adapter, and two VMWare virtual adapter. Whether this affects things,
I don't know. This script and ipconfig /all give the adapters in
different orders.

Paul.