[Python-Dev] Which version of distutils to ship with Python 2.5?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jul 30 15:14:13 CEST 2006

Anthony Baxter schrieb:
>> In any case, I bumped the version number to 2.5, according to the
>> policy discussed in
>>

> Could this not simply use the Python version number directly, instead?

See the prior discussion at

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2005-January/004366.html

Some people still believe (at least, believed in January 2005), that
distutils is developed independently of Python, and thus deserves
its own version number.

Of course, Andrew Kuchling officially declared in r1982 of pep 291
that there won't be any further stand-alone distutils releases,
and therefore, backwards compatibility with 2.1 is not necessary
anymore.

So I changed distutils.__version__ again, to be derived from
sys.version_info.

I left the numerous comments still in distutils that compatibility
with 2.1 is desired. We should remove these after 2.5 is released
(or perhaps even before that).

Regards,
Martin