[Python-Dev] Which version of distutils to ship with Python 2.5?

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu Jul 27 09:01:53 CEST 2006

On Thursday 27 July 2006 16:40, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Collin Winter wrote:
> > Is it intentional that Python 2.5 is (currently) shipping with
> > distutils 2.4.0, while Python 2.4 (at least 2.4.1, 2.4.2 and
> > 2.4.3) shipped with distutils 2.4.1? Judging from my own tests,
> > distutils 2.4.1 fixed several bugs that some of my test suites
> > depend on (the fixes, not the bugs ; ).
>
> Are these bugs not fixed in the distutils that shipped with Python
> 2.5b2?
>
> In any case, I bumped the version number to 2.5, according to the
> policy discussed in

Could this not simply use the Python version number directly, instead?
Separate version numbers only make sense if the package is separately
distributed - and even then, something like Barry's setup for the
email package could keep that version number out of the Python trunk.

Fiddly little version numbers scattered throughout the standard
library == pain.

Anthony