[Python-Dev] Community buildbots (was Re: User's complaints)

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Fri Jul 14 03:21:27 CEST 2006

On Thursday 13 July 2006 16:05, Barry Warsaw wrote:
 > This really is an excellent point and makes me think that we may want
 > to consider elaborating on the Python release cycle to include a
 > gamma phase or a longer release candidate cycle.  OT1H I think there
 > "absolutely no changes are allowed now unless it's to fix backward
 > compatibility".  No more sneaking in new sys functions or types
 > module constants <wink> during the gamma phase.

+42

It feels like the release cycle from alpha1 to final has gotten increasingly
rushed.  While I'm sure some of that is just me having my attention
elsewhere, I suspect a longer tail on the cycle to do gammas (or release
candidates, or whatever) would definately encourage more testing with
applications and the larger frameworks.

No, it won't catch everything, but I think it would help.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.   <fdrake at acm.org>