[Python-Dev] Explicit Lexical Scoping (pre-PEP?)

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Jul 6 17:05:42 CEST 2006

    jan-python> So.. are we only thinking about implementing this outer
    jan-python> scope assignment because there's lots of talk about it on
    jan-python> the list, ...

:-)

    jan-python> ... or are there actually use cases that would become
    jan-python> clearer if assigning to an outer scope variable was allowed?

I think full lexical scoping will only be of use to people who use nested
scopes heavily.  The more typical user will be happy to just refer to values
in outser scopes without modifying them and rely on classes to save changed
state across calls.  I think it's almost a YAGNI, but I'm sure others will
disagree.

Skip

Repeat after me: Python is not Lisp...