[Python-Dev] Explicit Lexical Scoping (pre-PEP?)

jan-python at maka.demon.nl jan-python at maka.demon.nl
Thu Jul 6 16:55:39 CEST 2006

So.. are we only thinking about implementing this outer scope
assignment because
there's lots of talk about it on the list, or are there actually use
cases that
would become clearer if assigning to an outer scope variable was allowed? I
tend to think that almost _any_ piece of code that could be written
using outer
scope assignment would become less clear by doing so as opposed to some other
way.

So, I'm not keen on the whole idea.
If we must, however, I think a declaration like 'nonlocal' would be
best (well,
least-bad, that is).