[Python-Dev] Proposed beta 2 changes (Q for Anthony/Neal)

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu Jul 6 05:35:19 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 04 July 2006 22:32, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> 1. Finishing the __module_name__ workaround to allow relative
> imports from the main module when using -m.
>
>    I'd really like to finish this, because having PEP 328 and 338
> not playing well together is a wart that's quite visible to end
> users. I'd rather not have people's first encounter with the
> features provided by either PEP involve discovering that they're
> "broken".
>
>    The patch to fix this also takes care of adding a couple of
> paragraphs to the tutorial about explicit relative imports (which
> aren't currently written up in the main documentation). The patch
> is attached directly to the beta 1 bug report about the problem
> [1].
>
>    (Guido gave a +1 to the concept, but explicitly deferred to
> Anthony and Neal as to whether or not the fix should go in for beta
> 2)

I have some nervousness about this. Are there cases in the stdlib
where this is an issue, today? Are there any cases which can't be
addressed by using absolute imports? For 2.5, wouldn't it be better
to simply say "use absolute imports in this case"?

My nervousness is that I don't want a late change to introduce a
language misfeature that we'll all regret later.

> 2. Adding an 'ignore' filter for ImportWarning at the end of
> warnings.py

Already covered this one in another email... Yes, this seems the best
approach for 2.5.

Anthony