[Python-Dev] Possible platforms to drop in 2.6

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Dec 23 16:39:48 CET 2006

On 12/23/06, Andrew MacIntyre <andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au> wrote:
> Of course, if the project management decide that even the EMX support
> should be removed from the official tree - so be it; I will just have
> to maintain the port outside the official tree.

I don't think that's the objective. In general we don't mind if a
resonable amount of platform-specific stuff sprinkled over the source
tree, *as long as there is someone to maintain it*. Such code tends to
break each time a major feature is added or modified, which is pretty
much every release. If no-one is there to repair these, the platform
code becomes useless, and *then* it becomes a matter of deciding to
clean up unneeded hacks, to simplify future maintenance. We want to
keep a reasonable balance where the code is reasonably clean and
doesn't contain pockets of dead code that nobody understands, but if
someone is actively maintaining a port we'd like to support them by
minimizing the effort it takes for them to port each new Python
version.

It seems that you're on the ball, so we can keep your changes. We
would appreciate it if you could point out things you no longer need
(I understand the os2vacpp directory might be one of these?).