[Python-Dev] Request for developer privileges.

Lars Gustäbel lars at gustaebel.de
Wed Dec 20 16:41:15 CET 2006

Hello,

my name is Lars Gustäbel (SF gustaebel). I contributed
tarfile.py to the Python standard library in January 2003 and
have been the maintainer since then. I have provided about 25
patches over the years, most of them fixes, some of them new
features and improvements. As a result, I am pretty familiar
with the Python development process.

If possible I would like to get developer privileges to be able
to work more actively on tarfile.py for a certain time.

I am currently implementing read-write POSIX.1-2001 pax format
support. Development is still in progress, but it is already
clear at this point, that it will be a complex change, which
will definitely require some maintenance once it is finished and
in day-to-day use. I would like to clean up the tarfile test
suite during this process as well. The introduction of the pax
format is important because it is the first tar specification
that puts an end to those annoying limitations of the "original"
tar format. It will become the default format for GNU tar some
day.

Thank you,
Lars.

--