[Python-Dev] New-style icons, .desktop file

Simon Dahlbacka simon.dahlbacka at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 22:17:03 CEST 2006

On 4/27/06, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Simon Dahlbacka wrote:
> > OTOH, the ETA for Vista is "just after" 2.5 release (end of 2006 for
> > OEM:s, beginning of 2007 for customers), long before 2.6
> >
> > That said, I don't have any strong preferences either way. (..but I do
> > have a x64 Vista machine running ATM)
>
> Good to know, but unfortunately, not very helpful in the end: Even if
> I wanted to include these icons, I still had no clue whatsoever on how
> to do that. What files do I need to deploy into what locations for this
> to "work", and how do I determine whether or not to use the "Vista
> approach" (assuming it is different from the "pre-Vista approach")?

[Disclaimer: the following is what google told me]

it seems that the big icons 256x256 are in fact (or at least can be) PNG
format within the .ico file.
However, the support for these kinds of icons seems to be somewhat lacking,
in particular, the current(including VS2005) resource compilers barf when
given such an icon.

Given that, it does not really seem feasible to include them..

Speaking of icons, do the bundled ico files have to be named py.ico and
pyc.ico? (These names does not play along with tab-completion, making the
user, me that is, tab twice "unnecessarily" to get to python.exe)

/Simon

A little bit about me:
I've almost completed my Computer Engineering(Embedded systems) degree, just
need to get my Master's written down. Professionally I've been developing
with python for a few years, but currently I mostly work in C# land..
Lurking around on py-dev for a year or so..