[Python-Dev] setuptools in the stdlib

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Wed Apr 19 08:11:43 CEST 2006

Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

>> If so, can't we have some kind of versioning
>> system?
>
> We do: "import setuptools".  We could perhaps rename it to "import
> distutils2" if you prefer, but it would mean essentially the same
> thing.  :)

I believe the naming is important, though. I'd rather it be called distutils2,
or "from distutils.core import setup2" or something like that. setuptools *is*
a new version of distutils, so it shouldn't have a different name.

Then, about new commands. Why should I need to do "import distutils2" to do,
eg, "setup.py develop"? This doesn't break backward compatibility.

Giovanni Bajo