[Python-Dev] setuptools in the stdlib ( r45510 - python/trunk/Lib/pkgutil.py python/trunk/Lib/pydoc.py)

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 07:14:38 CEST 2006

On 4/18/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 11:55 PM 4/18/2006 +0200, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> >who decided that setuptools should be added to 2.5, btw?
>
> Guido proposed it on Python-dev when the 2.5 schedule was first being
> discussed.  I discussed it with him off-list, ...

I thought more was discussed on-list, but apparently not.  I searched
my mail and could find no direct discussion on python-dev.  I saw
quite a few references to setuptools being included in 2.5, but
nothing explicit.  That's unfortunate.

I think I talked to Guido and probably Anthony off-list to see if they
objected to setuptools in 2.5.  My only mail to Phillip was to see if
it was going in.

> >it's still listed under "possible additions" in the release PEP,
>
> I imagine that might be why nobody raised any objections sooner, although I
> understood the possibility to mean "if nobody objects".  :)

I was also working under the assumption that people would complain if
they didn't like something.  What do people think should happen for
the "Possible features" section?  Should I ask if there are any
objections to each item?

In the current list of possible features, I think the only new
features that stand a chance in 2.5 are:  wsgiref and python pgen.
Ronald is working on the fat Mac binaries, it's only in this section
because it's not complete, but anticipated.  All the other things are
small cleanups (icons, Demo, file/open) or things that have to happen
(ssize_t cleanup).

@decorator and functools are possible, but no one is doing anything
about them, so I suspect they will not go in unless someone cares
enough to do the work and Guido agrees.  Since he's still on vacation,
these won't be decided for another week or so.  Probably these will be
decided after a2 goes out (hopefully around the 25th).

If you have any questions about the status of 2.5, speak up.