[Python-Dev] PEP 359: The "make" Statement

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 20:38:55 CEST 2006

On 4/15/06, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Steven Bethard wrote:

> >        <block>
>
> I don't like the position of the name being defined.
> It should be straight after the opening keyword, as
> with 'def' and 'class'.

I see where you're coming from, but the current ordering exists so
that ``class`` and ``make type`` are basically equivalent (for
new-style classes).  I'm trying not to break too far from the class
statement.  The next update of the PEP will try to make this more
clear.

That said, I think that the order of expressions is only a minor
concern, at least until people have agreed that the make-statement
concept is a good one.  Until then, I'd rather defer pure syntax
issues.

STeVe
--
Grammar am for people who can't think for myself.
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy