[Python-Dev] PEP 359: The "make" Statement

Ian D. Bollinger ian.bollinger at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 05:44:58 CEST 2006

Greg Ewing wrote:
> I don't like the position of the name being defined.
> It should be straight after the opening keyword, as
> with 'def' and 'class'. This makes it much easier
> to search for definitions of things, both by eyeball
> and editor search functions, etc.

Also, all other definitions have a keyword or punctuation separating
each token, probably for good reason.  This might not be desirable
though, as it would require yet another reserved word.  (I personally
think that make is too ubiquitous a name for it to be made a reserved
word at this point, though.)  The word 'of' might be appropriate as in:
make class of type.  However, 'from' seems to work better in most
instances, and may be better or worse as it is already a reserved word.
(make tag from Element)

-- Ian D. Bollinger