[Python-Dev] Closing old bugs

Reinhold Birkenfeld reinhold-birkenfeld-nospam at wolke7.net
Thu Jun 2 15:14:36 CEST 2005

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>> I've seen some systems that solve this problem by allowing users to
> "vote"
>> for favorite bugs... then you can tell the "important" bugs because
> they
>> are more likely to have lots of votes. As I see it, Facundo is using a
>> variant of that system. He is asking whether there is *ONE PERSON* out
>> there who cares enough about a bug to subscribe to it and then to
> respond
>> to his inquiry.  If there's not even one such person, then he's
> closing
>> the bug (but if one such person comes along later, they can re-report
> it).
>
> -1  This is both silly and harmful.  It in no way resembles a
> professional approach to bug resolution.  It throws away valuable
> information based on some vague theory of developer marketing (i.e.
> threatening to close a bug will cause a qualified, interested developer
> to suddenly have both the time and inclination to address it properly).

ACK so far.

> If the real goal is to "kick some life" into bug resolution, then do
> something that directly fulfills that goal.  Host a bug day.  Make a
> newsgroup posting requesting thoughts on your favorite ten bugs.  Write
> email to people who you think are capable of addressing the particular
> issue in question.  Go recruit some qualified developers.  Or just find
> a bug that interests you and fix it.

Well, to "fix it" is not so easy for most people. You have to post a patch
or attach it to the bug and then wait for someone to check it in. It's not
sure that this is done anytime soon (no complaint; time is short, I know).
Even fixes that are agreed upon by several people are not always checked in
for a long time.

Reinhold

--
Mail address is perfectly valid!