[Python-Dev] Closing old bugs

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Thu Jun 2 15:01:09 CEST 2005

> I've seen some systems that solve this problem by allowing users to
"vote"
> for favorite bugs... then you can tell the "important" bugs because
they
> are more likely to have lots of votes. As I see it, Facundo is using a
> variant of that system. He is asking whether there is *ONE PERSON* out
> there who cares enough about a bug to subscribe to it and then to
respond
> to his inquiry.  If there's not even one such person, then he's
closing
> the bug (but if one such person comes along later, they can re-report
it).

-1  This is both silly and harmful.  It in no way resembles a
professional approach to bug resolution.  It throws away valuable
information based on some vague theory of developer marketing (i.e.
threatening to close a bug will cause a qualified, interested developer
to suddenly have both the time and inclination to address it properly).

If the real goal is to "kick some life" into bug resolution, then do
something that directly fulfills that goal.  Host a bug day.  Make a
newsgroup posting requesting thoughts on your favorite ten bugs.  Write
email to people who you think are capable of addressing the particular
issue in question.  Go recruit some qualified developers.  Or just find
a bug that interests you and fix it.

Closing bugs without reading them is an anti-contribution.  If it were a
best practice, then there would already be a cron job in place to do it
automatically.

Raymond