[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 01:15:32 CEST 2005

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> Now's the time I pipe in to remind everyone that Atlassian has offered
> free (as in beer) versions of Jira and Confluence for the Python project
> (actually any open source project).  If you haven't used these, they're
> definitely worth a look.  Jira is the issue tracker, Confluence the
> wiki.  They're extremely professional, usable, well-integrated, and you
> can integrate them with Subversion.  We've used them at work for maybe a
> year now and I've been very happy with them.  Jira is definitely one of
> the better issue trackers, free or not free, that I've used.
>
> www.atlassian.com

I've also used Confluence at work, and been very impressed. A very nice
feature which I haven't seen anywhere else is that the Wiki pages allow
comments as well as direct editing - it allows discussion *about* the page to
occur in a normal answer/response fashion, possibly leading to eventual update
of the page text itself.

> They're not Python and they're not open source, so perhaps it's
> legitimate to dismiss them because of that.  But they are also
> definitely cool.  At the Atlassian folks are very cool too, and fans of
> FOSS.

I'd hope we wouldn't dismiss them out of hand - one of the things that appeals
to me about Python is the philosophy that open-source and protected-source
groups can both benefit from working together.

Regards,
Nick.