[Python-Dev] Triple-quoted strings and indentation

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Jul 11 13:50:55 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-11 at 01:08, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> A better proposal would probably be another string prefix that means
> "dedent", but I'm still not sold.  doc processing software is clearly
> going to have to know how to dedent anyway in order to support
> existing code.

OTOH, adding another string prefix means doubling the total number of
prefix combinations.  The potential for this getting out of hand was the
primary reason that string templates were implemented as a library
function instead of as a string prefix.

Personally, I'm not convinced that string literals need to change in any
way.  Dedentation should be handled (is handled?!) in the stdlib.

-Barry