[Python-Dev] Triple-quoted strings and indentation

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Jul 11 09:14:11 CEST 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> A better proposal would probably be another string prefix that means
> "dedent", but I'm still not sold.  doc processing software is clearly
> going to have to know how to dedent anyway in order to support
> existing code.

Agreed.

It is easy enough for any doc-string extraction tool
to do the dedenting based on the common whitespace prefix found
in lines 2 - n of the string. And that works on all sorts of string
literals.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jul 11 2005)