[Python-Dev] Chaining try statements: eltry?

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Jul 7 21:40:37 CEST 2005

[Josiah Carlson]

> > > [Guido van Rossum]

> I had gotten along for 5 years without knowing/remembering there existed
> an else clause [...]

Just throwing a few more cents in.  I have been programming (rather
successfully) for a few dozens of years without such `else:' clauses,
and for example, nearly as long without integrated object orientation.
Such things are not mandatory: we all know how to manage without them.
It is just that, when such features are known and available, they
alleviate programming work, sometimes a bit, sometimes more, depending.

Similarly, for anyone reasonable, there is no real urge nor fundamental
necessity (bugs excepted) going from Python 2.0 to 2.4.  We may
undoubtedly enjoy new features once they happen to be there, but could
well continue to live a successful programming life without them.
`else:' falls in this category.  It is nice and helpful to have, but is
only one of the now numerous features of Python which are not essential.

The fact that we can go without knowing something does not mean that
this something is not welcome.  Some priests do not know sex! :-)

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca