[Python-Dev] Chaining try statements: eltry?

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 20:48:53 CEST 2005

[Guido, on {for,while}/else]
> The question remains whether Python would be easier to learn without
> them. And if so, the question would remain whether that's offset by
> their utility for experienced developers. All hard to assess
> impartially!

That's what I'm here for.  I like loop "else" clauses, but have to
admit that (a) I rarely use them; (b) most of the time I use them, my
control flow is on the way to becoming so convoluted that I'm going to
rewrite the whole function soon anyway; and, (c) I've often misread
code that uses them, mentally attaching the "else" to a nearby "if"
instead.

I also suspect that if they weren't in the language already, a PEP to
introduce them would fail, because

    still_looking = True
    some loop:
        if found it:
            still_looking = False
            break
    if still_looking:
        # what would have been in the "else" clause

is clear and easy to write without it.