[Python-Dev] a bunch of Patch reviews

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 17:59:31 CET 2005

[Martin v. Löwis]
> - Add an entry to Misc/NEWS, if there is a new feature,
>   or if it is a bug fix for a maintenance branch
>   (I personally don't list bug fixed in the HEAD revision,
>   but others apparently do)

You should.  In part this is to comply with license requirements:
we're a derivative work from CNRI and BeOpen's Python releases, and
their licenses require that we include "a brief summary of the changes
made to Python".  That certainly includes changes made to repair bugs.

It's also extremely useful in practice to have a list of repaired bugs
in NEWS!  That saved me hours just yesterday, when trying to account
for a Zope3 test that fails under Python 2.4 but works under 2.3.4.
2.4 NEWS pointed out that tuple hashing changed to close bug 942952,
which I can't imagine how I would have remembered otherwise.