[Python-Dev] a bunch of Patch reviews

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jan 20 17:22:53 CET 2005

Irmen de Jong wrote:
> That sounds very convenient, thanks.

Ok, welcome to the project! Please let me know whether
it "works".

> Does the status of 'python project member' come with
> certain expectations that must be complied with ? ;-)

There are a few conventions that are followed more
or less stringently. You should be aware of the
things in the developer FAQ,

http://www.python.org/dev/devfaq.html

Initially, "new" developers should follow a
"write-after-approval" procedure, i.e. they should not
commit anything until they got somebody's approval.
Later, we commit things which we feel confident about,
and post other things to SF.

For CVS, I'm following a few more conventions which
I think are not documented anywhere.
- Always add a CVS commit message
- Add an entry to Misc/NEWS, if there is a new feature,
   or if it is a bug fix for a maintenance branch
   (I personally don't list bug fixed in the HEAD revision,
   but others apparently do)
- When committing configure.in, always remember to commit
   configure also (and pyconfig.h.in if it changed; remember
   to run autoheader)
- Always run the test suite before committing
- If you are committing a bug fix, consider to backport
   it to maintenance branches right away. If you don't
   backport it immediately, it likely won't appear in the
   next release. At the moment, backports to 2.4 are
   encouraged; backports to 2.3 are still possible for
   a few more days.
   If you chose not to backport for some reason, document
   that reason in the commit message. If you plan to
   backport, document that intention in the commit message
   (I usually say "Will backport to 2.x")
- In the commit message, always refer to the SF tracker
   id. In the tracker item, always refer to CVS version
   numbers. I use the script attached to extract those
   numbers from the CVS commit message, to paste them
   into the SF tracker.

I probably forgot to mention a few things; you'll notice
few enough :-)

HTH,
Martin