[Python-Dev] PEP 246: lossless and stateless

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Jan 15 16:57:29 CET 2005

At 01:20 PM 1/15/05 +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
>I think there are the following distinct threads of discussion going
>on at the moment:
>
>* Details of what should be in PEP 246
>* Discussions spinning off from Guido's type-declaration-as-adaptation
>proposal

My understanding was that the first needed to be considered in context of
the second, since it was the second which gave an implicit blessing to the
first.  PEP 246 had languished in relative obscurity for a long time until
Guido's blessing it for type declarations brought it back into the
spotlight.  So, I thought it important to frame its discussion in terms of
its use for type declaration.

>* Discussion of what counts as a "good" adapter

Alex was originally trying to add to PEP 246 some recommendations regarding
"good" vs. "bad" adaptation, so this is actually part of "what should be in
PEP 246"

>* Philip's new generic function / ducy typing proposals

And of course this one is an attempt to unify everything and replace PEP
245 (not 246) with a hopefully more pythonic way of defining interfaces and
adapters.  I hope to define a "relatively safe" subset of PEP 246 for type
declarations that can be done automatically by Python, in a way that's also
conceptually compatible with COM and Java casting (possibly making Jython
and IronPython's lives a little easier re: type declarations).