[Python-Dev] PEP 246: lossless and stateless

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 14:20:37 CET 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:06:22 -0500, Phillip J. Eby
<pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> >My feeling here was not that people thought that stateless adapters
> >were in general intrinsically better -- just when the adaptation was
> >going to be done implicitly (e.g. by type declarations).
>
> Yes, exactly. :)

In which case, given that there is no concept in PEP 246 of implicit
adaptation, can we please make a clear separation of this discussion
from PEP 246? (The current version of the PEP makes no mention of
transitive adaptation, as optional or required behaviour, which is the
only other example of implicit adaptation I can think of).

I think there are the following distinct threads of discussion going
on at the moment:

* Details of what should be in PEP 246
* Discussions spinning off from Guido's type-declaration-as-adaptation proposal
* Discussion of what counts as a "good" adapter
* Philip's new generic function / ducy typing proposals

Is that even close to others' understanding?

Just trying to keep my brain from exploding :-)

Paul.