[Python-Dev] PEP 347: Migration to Subversion

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Aug 16 14:42:59 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 07:42, Michael Hudson wrote:

> The third set of people who count are pydotorg admins.  I'm not really
> one of those either at the moment.  While SF's CVS setup has it's
> problems (occasional outages; it's only CVS) it's hard to beat what it
> costs us in sysadmin time: zero.

True, although because of the peculiarities of cvs, there have
definitely been times I wish we had direct access to the repository.
svn should make most of those reasons moot.

As for sysadmin time with the changes proposed by the pep -- clearly
they won't be zero, but I think the overhead for svn itself will be
nearly so.  With the fsfs backend, there's almost no continuous care and
feeding needed, including for backups (which XS4ALL takes care of).  The
overhead for the admins will be in user management.  I really don't
think it will be that much more effort for new developers to badger the
admins into adding them to some config file than it currently is to get
one of us to click a few links to add you to the SF project. ;)  (Okay,
yeah we'll have to manage credentials now.)

The alternatives to svn all sound very enticing, however my own feeling
is that while the workflows they make possible might be good for Python
in the long run, it's not clear how all that will evolve.  We know that
we can treat svn as "a better cvs" and the current workflow seems to
serve us well enough.  I'd be happy to switch to svn now, while
continuing to experiment and follow the better scm systems for the
future.

-Barry