[Python-Dev] PEP 347: Migration to Subversion

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Tue Aug 16 14:08:26 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 21:42, Michael Hudson wrote:
> I want svn, I think.  I'm open to more sophisticated approaches but am
> not sure that any of them are really mature enough yet.  Probably will
> be soon, but not soon enough to void the effort of moving to svn
> (IMHO).
>
> I'm not really a release manager these days, but if I was, I'd wand
> svn for that reason too.

I _am_ a release manager these days, and I'm in favour of svn. I really
want to be off CVS, and I would love to be able to go with something
more sophisticated than svn. Unfortunately, I really don't think any of
the alternatives are appropriate. While Perforce is definitely capable,
the Bitkeeper disaster strongly influence me against relying on the
generosity of a commercial software vendor who could change their mind
at any time.

The more radical (and powerful) tools such as baz/bzr, darcs, monotone
and the like really aren't there yet. I have no doubt that they will
get there, but right now, I want something better than CVS, and I don't
want to have to fight bugs or limitations in the revision control system.

By the way - if you're intending on suggesting alternates to svn, please
don't just post a link saying "check out this system". Post an explanation
of _why_ we should look at this particular system. What's it's strengths?
Why should we invest the time to download it and play with it? Speaking for
myself, I don't have the time or energy to spend trying the countless
numbers of revision control systems that are out there.

Thanks,
Anthony