[Python-Dev] PEP 347: Migration to Subversion

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 03:07:51 CEST 2005

[Martin v. Löwis]
> I have placed a new version of the PEP on
>
> http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0347.html

+1 from me.  But, I don't think my vote should count much, and (sorry)
Guido's even less:  what do the people who frequently check in want?
That means people like you (Martin), Michael, Raymond, Walter, Fred.
... plus the release manager(s).

BTW, a stumbling block in Zope's conversion to SVN was that the
conversion script initially never set svn:eol-style on any file.  This
caused weeks of problems, as people on Windows got Linux line ends,
and people checking in from Windows forced Windows line ends on
Linuxheads (CVS defaults to assuming files are text; SVN binary).

The peculiar workaround at Zope is that we're all encouraged to add
something like this to our SVN config file:

"""
[auto-props]
# Setting eol-style to native on all files is a trick:  if svn
# believes a new file is binary, it won't honor the eol-style
# auto-prop.  However, svn considers the request to set eol-style
# to be an error then, and if adding multiple files with one
# svn "add" cmd, svn will stop adding files after the first
# such error.  A future release of svn will probably consider
# this to be a warning instead (and continue adding files).
* = svn:eol-style=native
"""

It would be best if svn:eol-style were set to native during initial
conversion from CVS, on all files not marked binary in CVS.