[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Aug 4 20:28:06 CEST 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>>I guess this was a misunderstanding on my part: VA doesn't offer
>>their commercial solution in an ASP-like way. Their product,
>>called SourceForge Enterprise, is a J2EE application which we'd
>>have to install and run. They do mention Subversion as being
>>supported by the Enterprise edition.
>

> Ah, ok. I don't think I want to operate such a software (and,
> strictly speaking, this is out of the scope of the PEP). I had the
> "pleasure" once of having to maintain a SourceForge installation
> (before SourceForge became closed source), and it was a nightmare
> to operate.

With J2EE I doubt that things got any easier to maintain...
(assuming that you had to run the version of the software which
is used on SF.net).

>>For (more or less) simple things like setting up SVN, I'd agree,
>>but for hosting a complete development system, I have my doubts -
>>things start to get rather complicated and integration of various
>>different tools tends to be very time consuming.
>

> I guess Python's development process is very simple then. We use
> mailing lists, CVS, newsgroups, web servers, and bug trackers,
> but these don't have to integrate. Many of these services are
> already on pydotorg, and I propose to add an additional one
> (revision control).
>

>>Sysadmin tasks like doing backups, emergency recovery, etc. also
>>get more complicated once you have to deal with many different ways
>>of data storage deployed by such tools, e.g. many of them
>>require use of special tools to do hot backups.
>

> We are doing quite well here. XS4ALL kindly does disk backup for
> us, and, in the specific case of Subversion's fsfs, this is all
> that is needed. For Postgres, we backup to disk, which then
> gets picked up by the disk backup.

Sounds like you have everything under control, which is good :-)

BTW, in one of your replies I read that you had a problem with
how cvs2svn handles trunk, branches and tags. In reality, this
is no problem at all, since Subversion is very good at handling
moves within the repository: you can easily change the repository
layout after the import to whatevery layout you see fit - without
losing any of the version history.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 04 2005)