[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Aug 4 19:57:16 CEST 2005

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> I guess this was a misunderstanding on my part: VA doesn't offer
> their commercial solution in an ASP-like way. Their product,
> called SourceForge Enterprise, is a J2EE application which we'd
> have to install and run. They do mention Subversion as being
> supported by the Enterprise edition.

Ah, ok. I don't think I want to operate such a software (and,
strictly speaking, this is out of the scope of the PEP). I had the
"pleasure" once of having to maintain a SourceForge installation
(before SourceForge became closed source), and it was a nightmare
to operate.

> For (more or less) simple things like setting up SVN, I'd agree,
> but for hosting a complete development system, I have my doubts -
> things start to get rather complicated and integration of various
> different tools tends to be very time consuming.

I guess Python's development process is very simple then. We use
mailing lists, CVS, newsgroups, web servers, and bug trackers,
but these don't have to integrate. Many of these services are
already on pydotorg, and I propose to add an additional one
(revision control).

> Sysadmin tasks like doing backups, emergency recovery, etc. also
> get more complicated once you have to deal with many different ways
> of data storage deployed by such tools, e.g. many of them
> require use of special tools to do hot backups.

We are doing quite well here. XS4ALL kindly does disk backup for
us, and, in the specific case of Subversion's fsfs, this is all
that is needed. For Postgres, we backup to disk, which then
gets picked up by the disk backup.

Regards,
Martin