[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Aug 3 21:01:10 CEST 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
>>True, but if we never ask, we'll never know :-)
>>
>>My question was: Would asking a professional hosting company
>>be a reasonable approach ?
>
> It would be an option, yes, of course. It's not an approach that
> *I* would be willing to implement, though.

Fair enough.

>>>From the answers, I take it that there's not much trust in these
>>offers, so I guess there's not much desire to PSF money into this.
>
> I haven't received any offers to make a qualified statement. I only
> know that I would oppose an approach to ask somebody but our
> volunteers to do it for free, and I also know that I don't want to
> spend my time researching commercial alternatives (although I
> wouldn't mind if you spent your time).

I don't quite understand what you meant here: are you opposing
spending PSF money on a hosting company if and only if volunteers
who take on the job don't get paid ?

I've done a bit of research on the subject and so far only found
CollabNet and VA offering commercial services in this area. VA hosts
SourceForge so that's a non-option, I guess :-)

I know that Greg Stein worked for CollabNet, so thought it might be a
good idea to ask him about the idea to move things to CollabNet.
Of course, before taking this route, I wanted to get a feeling
for the general attitude towards a commercial approach, which
is why I tossed in the idea.

Other non-commercial alternatives are Berlios and Savannah, but
I'm not sure whether they'd offer Subversion support.

BTW, have you considered using Trac as issue tracker on
svn.python.org ? They have a very good subversion
integration, it's easy to use, comes with a wiki and
looks great. Oh, and it's written in Python :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 03 2005)