[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Wed Aug 3 03:03:04 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 09:06, François Pinard wrote:
> [Raymond Hettinger]
>
> > >    http://www.venge.net/monotone/
>
> > The current release is 0.21 which suggests that it is not ready for
> > primetime.
>
> It suggests it, yes, and to me as well.  On the other hand, there is
> a common prejudice that something requires many releases, or frequent
> releases, to be qualified as good.  While it might be true on average,
> this is not necessarily true: some packages need not so many steps for
> becoming very usable, mature or stable.  (Note that I'm not asserting
> anything about Monotone, here.)  We should merely keep an open mind.

It is true that some well designed/developed software becomes reliable
very quicky. However, it still takes heavy use over time to prove that.
You don't want to be the guy who finds out that this is not one of those
bits of software.

IMHO you need maturity for revision control software... you are relying
on it for history. The only open source options worth considering for
Python are CVS and SVN, and even SVN is questionable (see bdb backend
issues).

--
Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au>