[Python-Dev] using openssh's pty code

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 23:01:47 CEST 2004

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:46:41 -0500, J Raynor <raynorj at mn.rr.com> wrote:

> I think I could improve the pty module by having it follow openssh's
> procedures, but I would wind up rewriting several configure checks in
> python, and I imagine some of them can only reliably be checked by
> compiling a small C program, like configure does.
>
> I think the better solution would be to modify the C code in
> posixmodule.c, or to provide an alternate module (written in C).  For
> the alternate module idea, the pty module could import it and check to
> see if it provides openpty() (for example), just as the pty module
> currently tries to use os.openpty() before it tries its own
> implementation of openpty().

Agreed that this would be best served by writing C code. I hope that
it can be done without  violating someone else's license *and* without
weighing down future Python distributions with someone else's license.
No matter how sensible the other license is, adding licenses to the
stack of licenses is not a good idea at this point.