[Python-Dev] Re: Planning to drop gzip compression for future releases.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Sep 18 13:27:02 CEST 2004

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Of the build systems I checked, all had gunzip, most had unzip, but
> only the Linux systems had bunzip2.

Sure, there are systems that don't have bunzip2 installed. However,
what is the problem of installing it? All you need is a C compiler,
and I'm sure you have one - how else are you going to install Python?

And if building bzip2 yourself is a problem for some reason I cannot
imagine, then what is the problem with using a prebuilt binary?

As I said, Solaris (atleast Solaris 9) comes with bzip2. If you have
an older Solaris release, you can get a binary from sunfreeware.com.

For HP-UX, you can get it from the HP porting center, e.g.

http://hpux.asknet.de/hppd/hpux/Misc/bzip2-1.0.2/
(both PA-RISC and Itanium binaries, for 10.20, 11.00, 11.20,
  and 11.22)

For AIX, you can get it from http://www.bullfreeware.com/.

What other systems have you been looking at?

Regards,
Martin