[Python-Dev] Re: Planning to drop gzip compression for future releases.

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Sep 18 13:00:18 CEST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> agreed.  it may come as a surprise to some people, but Linux
>> is not the only Unix system out there.  Python works extremely
>> well on non-Linux systems too...
>
> But then, a Unix system does not have gzip, either.

Of the build systems I checked, all had gunzip, most had unzip, but
only the Linux systems had bunzip2.

The bzip2 homepage contains 1.0.2 binaries for exactly three plat-
forms, compared to over 20 systems for gzip and 30 systems for
unzip.  I suppose older bzip2 versions (0.9.5) are compatible, but
someone should verify that they work before you pull the gzip
archives.

> Maybe IP isn't available, either, so we should ship QIC tapes.

That's a really helpful comment.

</F>