[Python-Dev] --with-tsc compile fails

Jeremy Hylton jhylton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 04:24:24 CEST 2004

I'm feeling pretty out of it :-).  I'm very happy to see that the
Pentium tsc patch made it into the core; I had missed it.  I'm amused
that the Pentium tsc patch works for PPC, too.  Anyway, I tried to use
it this evening and the compilation failed:

../Python/ceval.c:50:21: asm/msr.h: No such file or directory
../Python/ceval.c: In function `PyEval_EvalFrame':
../Python/ceval.c:575: warning: implicit declaration of function `rdtscll'
../Python/ceval.c:572: warning: `inst0' might be used uninitialized in
this function
../Python/ceval.c:572: warning: `inst1' might be used uninitialized in
this function
../Python/ceval.c:572: warning: `loop0' might be used uninitialized in
this function
../Python/ceval.c:572: warning: `loop1' might be used uninitialized in
this function

It sounds like <asm/msr.h> is for Microsoft platforms, but I'm
building on Linux.  Perhaps the change to add PPC support screwed up
the ifdefs that were detecting a Windows compile?  Does it work for
anyone else?

Jeremy