[Python-Dev] Subversion, Codeville

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Wed Sep 8 17:58:31 CEST 2004

Gregory P. Smith writes:
> There should -never- be a reason to remove the entire proof of a files
> past existence from a repository (unless you live in 1984).  disk space
> is effectively free.

One day a careless Python developer checks in a new cryptography library
based on code she found on the internet. Shortly thereafter, SCO decides
to sue the PSF for using and distributing "their" copyrighted code.
Removing the library from the distributed version isn't sufficient, we
have "a copy" of the code, and that's against the law.

I realize that disk space usually isn't the issue, but as long as laws
make certain information illegal, there will always be reasons to need
to delete information.

-- Michael Chermside