[Python-Dev] Adding a developer

Lars Gustäbel lars at gustaebel.de
Thu Oct 21 20:29:29 CEST 2004

Hello!

Since I am the subject of this discussion, I think it's necessary to give my
view on this too.

I am reluctant on this topic. I don't mean to stab Andrew in the back, but he
brought up this issue by himself, I was surprised and (very) flattered as I
read it today - who wouldn't like to be a Python developer :-) This explains
why I didn't ask for it on python-dev myself.

I do not think that it is necessary at this point in time to add me as a
developer. There is no open tarfile bug left in the bug tracker and the two
open tarfile patches both introduce new features which will have to wait
until 2.5 anyway. The first big bug wave since the 2.3 release seems to be
over.

In his post, Martin said that he believes I like my patches be reviewed by
others before they're applied and I agree - I like a second opinion, it makes
me feel more comfortable even if it slows down the process. I made positive
experiences with Neil Norwitz, Martin and Andrew in this respect.

I still see myself as the main developer of tarfile. As Andrew mentioned, I
maintain a separate distribution on my website and have a lot of user
feedback there, too. I search the SF tracker for tarfile bugs on a regular
basis and try to help out whenever I can. This is not supposed to change in
the future.

If it were common Python development policy to add a contributor to the
developers list for further maintenance of his module, I would be delighted
to step in. But I don't think this is currently the case.

BTW, The "Open issues" section of PEP #2 proposes a practice for module
maintenance. It's about having a list of module maintainers that are notified
each time there are issues with their module. Maybe there needs to be a more
general discussion on this whole topic.

--
Lars Gustäbel
lars at gustaebel.de