[Python-Dev] About the Wise installer on Windows

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Oct 13 21:15:08 CEST 2004

Alexandre Parenteau wrote:
> I am looking for a way to build and make an installer out of Python on a
> Win x86_64 platform which is not supported yet by the Python team.

Out of curiosity: where did you obtain the operating system, and where
will you obtain a C compiler for the platform? To my knowledge,
Microsoft has released neither, yet.

> My plan is to compile Python for this platform (several developers on
> the list told me it should be straightforward), and make an installer
> out of the Python binaries in order to be able to distribute the Python
> binaries internally.
>
> I downloaded the evaluation copy of Wise Installer System 9, but it
> complains that the installer file (which I assume is
> PCBuild\Python20.wse) is corrupted.

Alternatively to that approach, you can use the Python 2.4 code base,
and build an MSI file (using Tools/msi); no need for any external
tool except for a platform SDK installation, and PythonWin.

Regards,
Martin